I am shortly nipping back out to Nice for a couple of days to get some more images for the calendar assignment ‘Wish You Were Here’, so I thought it a good idea to articulate what shots I am missing so that I don’t need to go back a third time!
The brief requires seven images:
- A cover image
- 6 images for inside pages, each to cover two months
As a reminder: my concept is a series of ‘touristic’ scenes of the south of France resort Nice, with a secondary layer of significance of the embedded names of 86 victims of the Bastille Day terror attack.
My communication intentions are threefold:
- First reaction: I want viewers to see aesthetically pleasing scenes (‘pretty pictures’)
- Second reaction: then look closer and see the dedications inscribed in each image
- Third reaction: I want there to be connoted meanings in the images, pertaining to emotional responses to the incident, e.g. loss, grief, resilience, optimism, peace, harmony, love etc
I need to get 14 or 15 victims’ names embedded into each of the six inside images – I intend to leave the front cover image as a generic ‘pretty picture’ scene. I have a few in mind from last trip but will equally keep an eye out for new opportunities.
Shots in the bag
So far I think I have three usable images from my last trip (when I was only half-thinking about this assignment, if I’m honest – otherwise I could have got it all sewn up in one visit) but would look to shoot better versions of the same scenes if time permits:
1. Blue Chairs
- Name embedding method: as graffiti on the slats on the back of the chairs
- Connotation: loss (implied by the couple on the left and the solo woman on the right)
- Name embedding method: price tags
- Connotation: bereavement (signifier flower = signified funeral)
- I may reshoot this one, or if not then crop on to the right
- Name embedding method: as resort names on postcards
- Connotation: missing a loved one (‘wish you were here’)
I have in mind three further executions of the concept. I’d prefer to have four so I have a spare! Maybe inspiration will strike when I’m back over there.
Note this is not my own image, I borrowed it off the internet…
- Name embedding method: as menu items on the board
- Connotation: resilience – getting on with everyday life
- Name embedding method: as boat names
- Connotation: tradition, heritage, pride, defiance
- This shot is a failed attempt from the last trip – can’t see enough of the boat names
- Name embedding method: handwritten on pebbles
- Connotation: strength, resilience
That’s it unless I have another idea.
Wish me luck…